An Thought Sparked by a Simple Facebook Status

I saw this status on Facebook once; "You're 10 & you have a laptop, iPod & Blackberry. Dude, when I was 10 all I had was a Tamaguchi". When those things came out I practically begged for a Tamaguchi. Didn't get one. Instead, I had already been given something better. I just didn't know it at the time.

When I was 6 or 7, my parents enrolled me into swimming class. The coaches said I was like a fish in water. Kept going & I almost made it to the State team. By this time I was still young, 12 at most, and didn't want to continue. Kept swimming for fun, though. In between 6/7 and 12, I had gotten a bicycle and I loved to cycle around on it. It was basic & had to use training wheels at first. One day, I realized that I didn't need the training wheels and convinced my dad that I didn't need them. That feeling when I first rode without training wheels, I felt like I was going really fast!

Then at around 14, I picked up golf. Wasn't that great at it but golf taught me patience & perseverance. Something my then-7 year old brother had yet to appreciate. Due to studies (namely PMR & SPM), I had to give up golf & never picked it back up. I also tried kayaking & snorkeling whenever we went on vacation by the beach. When I was 15, I joined my school rugby team & wasn't too bad at it. Loved it & worked hard at it. Ended up earning a reputation for passing fast balls & having the most stamina on the team. At the same time, I was cycling to school. At first it was only for extra-curricular activities but at 14 I convinced my parents to let me cycle back & forth. Being able to that was definitely a feeling of independence. For my 16th birthday, my parents got me a really good mountain bike. I love riding & my friends can attest to that.

When I was 15, my family went on vacation to Fraser's Hill & I loved it. The fresh air, the trails, the wildlife, the flora, it was amazing! It was new, it was eye-opening. We went there again last year for my 18th birthday; with our bicycles this time. The experience was even more enjoyable. For Christmas, we went to Singapore, just to travel out of Malaysia & to experience something new. This year I am turning 19 & we kicked off the new year with a bang; my family & I conquered Mt. Kinabalu, the tallest peak in South East Asia.

Indeed, this is a lengthy post but bear with me.

Also, throughout primary school & high school, they have always supported me & are the ones who encouraged me to take up debate & public speaking. They didn't mind ferrying me & my teammates to competitions & paying for whatever fees were needed. Occasionally, if they were free they would come to watch & support me.

I'm sure the question playing on your mind is "what does the story of my life have to do with the status?" The answer is this; it's not what your parents get you, it's what your parents give you that truly matters. My parents may not have gotten me a Tamaguchi but they gave me patience, perseverance, a good work ethic, chivalry, an appreciation for the environment & the world around us, but most importantly, confidence & independence. In my opinion, that's a hell of a lot more valuable than a toy.

So, go & give your parents a big hug, tell them you love them & say thank you for all they've done for you.

If you have read it up this point, congratulations & thank you for taking your time to read it. It is very much appreciated. :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sneakers & Sandals

2nd Week of School

The Last Weekend